Interesting People mailing list archives

re ICANN Likely to Approve "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Domain for Chumps!

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:26:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: June 24, 2010 7:17:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] ICANN Likely to Approve "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Domain for Chumps!

More details at
http://kierenmccarthy.com/2010/06/24/dot-xxx-to-be-approved-tomorrow/

Of course ICANN's approach might be viewed as a polite kiss of death in that ICANN will hand the matter over to its
committee of national governments who, I suspect, will do what they do best - engage in endless political posturing
without ever reaching even a stable point of view much less a consensus or agreement.

As for Lauren's objections - his points have strength if one believes that ICANN is a proper overlord of the internet
that is empowered to decide for us what is good and what is not.

But that means that one accepts ICANN as having legitimate authority.

I do not accept that ICANN is our anointed mommy of the net that has the life and death power over how the principal
naming system of the internet can be used and by whom.

Had something like ICANN been in existence in the late 1960's it is likely that there would never have been packet
switching - that would have been viewed as too disruptive and too much a threat to the established telcos - and we
would today be living in world composed of ISDN circuits.

ICANN's size and budget are on an expansive curve that will soon approach, and may even exceed, that of the ITU.

ICANN already costs internet users around a billion $US a year in unearned, fiat registry fees that flow directly to
Verisign and other "registries".

And yet internet users still have no concrete power or role in ICANN except to watch and listen.

ICANN was established to assure the technical stability of the upper tiers of the domain name system - to assure that
domain name query packets are promptly, efficiently, and accurately turned into domain name response packets without
bias against any query source or query subject.

By that metric ICANN has bloated itself beyond recognition in areas beyond its remit and has withered into near
vacuousness in those matters for which it was established.

              --karl--