Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Density of Smart People

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:34:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: June 1, 2010 9:50:06 AM EDT
To: R.W.Taylor () comcast net, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The Density of Smart People

Bob:

Sorry.  I didn't mean to quote you at all.  What I wrote was a paraphrase and an attempt to understand what you were
saying in a really fascinating interview.

As I recall you did mention "manage" in relationship to "fools" but that may have been referring to your bosses at ARPA
and Xerox or someone else altogether.  It did seem at times that your remarks were "coded" for some in the audience to
understand better than others.

As a renowned manager and trained psychologist, how would you suggest that the smart people "do the best that we can"
with the fools who surround us?  Would some form of "management" be advised?

What particularly struck me in this regard is the way that the Internet is hailed as a powerful social communications
medium -- even a "democratic" one, with all the rich implications of Obama's election paralleling your own enthusiasm
for JFK and the possibilities for social change -- at the same time that most of the people who communicate on the
Internet are, evidently, fools.

Yes, those fools can sure TWEET! <g>

Best,

Mark Stahlman