Interesting People mailing list archives

PHR's, Get 'em While They're Hot

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:27:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bnmeeks () verizon net>
Date: July 26, 2010 9:02:46 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: PHR's, Get 'em While They're Hot

Dave,  for the IP list if you so choose.

Personal Health Records —PHRs— we are on the cusp of these electronic documents becoming as common as an iPhone 4’s
dropped calls... But there are no overarching privacy and security guidelines for these documents that will carry our
most sensitive health information.  The promise of PHRs is big, but if consumers don’t or can’t trust that their PHRs
will be safe, that promise will never materialize.

CDT’s Health Privacy Project has just released a report outlining the steps needed to ensure consumer trust in PHRs
through a mix of legal requirements and industry adherence to a set of “best practices.”

The requirements called for in this report, are so common sense, for example, “require consumer consent to collect,
use and maintain data in a PHR; prohibit compelled use of a PHR, and so on, yet they are no where to be found... Yet.

A copy of the report is online here: http://www.cdt.org/iSN

Cheers -- Brock