Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Google Algorithm

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:10:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: July 18, 2010 8:54:52 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: The Google Algorithm

Also note Google's acquisition of Metaweb/Freebase, the company founded by Danny Hillis of Connection Machine fame.
It does for the world what ITA does for travel, providing structure and ontologies, so that it can answer complex
queries involving relationships rather than  simply link to pages that may contain the information you seek  in some
undigested form.

ITA is narrow but deep; Metaweb is broad and fairly shallow but extremely extensible, especially with Google's
resources (if they are well applied).