Interesting People mailing list archives

That GPS stuff is sure handy, eh?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:27:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: July 16, 2010 11:30:33 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: That GPS stuff is sure handy, eh?

[Note:  This comment comes from friend David Reed.  DLH]

Subject: Re: That GPS stuff is sure handy, eh?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:19:00 -0400
To: dewayne-net () warpspeed com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

Regarding warrants and cell tower records:

Two quick comments.

1) I served for 6 months on a Massachusetts Grand Jury.  This
little-understood system is partly designed as a check on prosecutorial
power, and in Massachusetts it is taken quite seriously by the
prosecutors.  Every felony indictment brought must be presented to a
grand jury for discussion and a vote on whether it should be pursued (no
ham sandwich jokes, please, we did turn down a number of prosecutions).

For this purpose, I thought it worth sharing that we reviewed requests
for warrants looking at cellular call records as a routine matter of
course, and probable cause for each search was indeed required by our
deliberations.  So the system can work, at least in Massachusetts. Is it
always used in MA?  Don't know, but see the next point.

2) In a home near the center of my town, a fellow bludgeoned an 90-year
old to death, and then ran when confronted.   This resulted in a massive
man-hunt, including locking students inside schools rather than
releasing them at the end of the day, and a robocall alert to everyone
in my town.  This was pretty scary, and by the end of the process,
police had arrested several suspicious people, including a fellow who
had behaved very strangely in a nearby store.  However, within an hour
or two, based on identification of the man (a workman), and quick work
by the police and the cellular operator, his location was determined by
his cellphone, which was still turned on, though he had made no calls
with it, and he was found hiding in a nearby wooded area, where he was
captured.  I don't know if a warrant was obtained.  I suspect a judge
would have issued that warrant, given the evidence, but perhaps it was not.

These experiences have left me with practical knowledge of the
usefulness of cellphone location for societal benefit, and also
knowledge that good procedural safeguards can be worked out that fit
emergency circumstances.  I'm also very skeptical of those who would
leave humans "out of the loop" and create purely technical solutions
(either way - to automatically provide data to all police inquiries, or
to bar any access to evidence whatever, no matter what the process).
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>