Interesting People mailing list archives

] Re: A very important item -- How to Make an American Job Before It's Too Late: Andy Grove - Bloomberg

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:41:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: INVENTOR () pobox com
Date: July 4, 2010 1:37:14 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: INVENTOR () pobox com
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:    A very important item -- How to Make an American Job Before It's Too Late: Andy Grove -
Bloomberg

Dave – After I saw this posting on your site I read Andy Grove’s article.  It was MARVELOUS and showed how American
industry is committing Seppuku a Japanese word for Suicide – by transferring virtually ALL of our technology to the
Orient for manufacturing.  Which means transferring virtually ALL of our technology and knowhow overseas to teach
them to grow our competition.

While I have not always agreed with him, in this article HE IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Which leads me to wonder what would cause David P. Reed  to write; “It's sad, but Andy Grove will be pilloried by the
flag wavers who think that enriching the wealthy is the proper thing for Americans to want to do.”

What has this statement have  to do with Andy’s article?

And his saying that Andy “begs the question”etc – has NO RELATION to the article and the warning that Andy was
conveying.

As a point of information – I was running a development company for Sherman Fairchild and was at a board meeting
where my colleague Bob Noyce (who was not invited) was effectively “fired” because he was not considered strong
enough to be considered to become the President of Fairchild Camera.  The actual statement was that he wouldn’t be
able run a company as LARGE as Fairchild Camera which was then about 100 Million in sales.

They were, obviously right.  He quit and with Gordon Moore raised the money to found INTEL!  I believe that Andy
Grove was either their first employee or one of their first. But he certainly made a lasting impression and was the
brains behind the enormous success of the company.

In Andy’s article – he is warning America that what I call our “outhousing” of production is also outsourcing our
native and crucial TECHNOLOGY – and are losing it – likely FOREVER.  Bad move!

George Margolin – Vice President Professional Inventors Alliance.