Interesting People mailing list archives

Google: Exercising Our Remote Application Removal Feature

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 04:20:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: June 28, 2010 10:54:48 PM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Google: Exercising Our Remote Application Removal Feature

Exercising Our Remote Application Removal Feature

Posted by Tim Bray on 23 June 2010 at 10:35 PM

[This post is by Rich Cannings, Android Security Lead. - Tim Bray]

Every now and then, we remove applications from Android Market due to
violations of our Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement or
Content Policy. In cases where users may have installed a malicious
application that poses a threat, we've also developed technologies
and processes to remotely remove an installed application from
devices. If an application is removed in this way, users will receive
a notification on their phone.

Recently, we became aware of two free applications built by a
security researcher for research purposes. These applications
intentionally misrepresented their purpose in order to encourage user
downloads, but they were not designed to be used maliciously, and did
not have permission to access private data - or system resources
beyond permission.INTERNET. As the applications were practically
useless, most users uninstalled the applications shortly after
downloading them.

After the researcher voluntarily removed these applications from
Android Market, we decided, per the Android Market Terms of Service,
to exercise our remote application removal feature on the remaining
installed copies to complete the cleanup.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/06/exercising-our-remote-application.html