Interesting People mailing list archives

Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:47:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 6, 2010 5:44:11 PM EST
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

Google asks FCC to appoint it a "white space" database admin

http://bit.ly/5vzwtS  (Urgent Communications)

I've been and continue to be a big supporter of the "white space"
concept.  I'll also admit that the devil will be in the details, and
there are various ways that white space usage could go right -- or
wrong.  One particularly disconcerting meme I've heard floating around
has been the idea that hacked firmware for white space devices will
quickly emerge that "steamrolls over" the official rules and illicitly
blows past those devices that are "playing by the rules." If this kind
of scenario comes to pass and is common, white space could descend
into useless chaos.

That would be a serious loss worth trying to prevent.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator