Interesting People mailing list archives

re DOJ: more spectrum for wireless = more competitive Internet

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:30:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: January 5, 2010 3:03:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] DOJ: more spectrum for wireless = more competitive Internet

Everyone:

This document is well worth reading -- especially the section regarding the problems with the current rules for the auctioning of exclusive spectrum licenses.

Please note, by the way, that my ISP -- whose tiered rate plans were cited in the document -- has increased the minimum guaranteed bandwidth at each of its price tiers by 25%. (We cannot increase it any more unless the FCC acts to prohibit anticompetitive "special access" pricing, which currently drives our backbone bandwidth costs to more than $100 per Mbps.) See http://www.lariat.net/rates.html.

Also note that our throughput guarantee is only a minimum (a "committed information rate," or CIR), not a maximum or "up to" rate as advertised by cable and telephone companies. Most broadband providers offer no CIR whatsoever, and therefore there is no way to confirm that one is getting what one is paying for.

--Brett Glass