Interesting People mailing list archives

The Apple-Amazon Ebook War Begins: Amazon Deletes Macmillan Books

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:47:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: January 30, 2010 9:09:52 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Apple-Amazon Ebook War Begins: Amazon Deletes Macmillan Books

One question: did Amazon yank the books off everyone's Kindle that had purchased them? Are Macmillian e-book "owners" (er, licensees) now screwed if they need to reload their Kindle because these books aren't on Amazon's service anymore? If so, will they get refunds? I presume customers will be caught in the middle here with little or no recourse other than to buy an "old-fashioned" hard-copy book, if they want to ensure it will be there when they want it. Amazon's oopsie with 1984 last year should have been a big wakeup call to all e-book customers.

To say this won't end well is a gross understatement....which is still one of my biggest reasons for not wanting to jump into the e- book bandwagon either from Amazon, Apple, or whomever.

-rf