Interesting People mailing list archives

Google Toolbar Tracks Browsing Even After Users Choose "Disable"

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:18:56 -0500

From: "Ben Edelman" <ben () benedelman org>
To: <dave () farber net>
Date: January 26, 2010 06:57:02 AM EST
Subject: Google Toolbar Tracks Browsing Even After Users Choose "Disable"

Dave,

I just posted the following article.  Of possible interest to IP --

Google Toolbar Tracks Browsing Even After Users Choose "Disable"

http://www.benedelman.org/news/012610-1.html

I present screenshots and screen-capture videos demonstrating that even
after a user specifically chooses to "disable" the Google Toolbar, and even
after the Google Toolbar disappears from view, Google Toolbar continues
tracking users' web browsing -- including the specific sites visited, pages
browsed, and searches conducted.  I then critique Google's installation --
which lets users activate these transmissions in a single click, while
making it much harder to cease the transmissions.  I compare Google's
current notice/consent process to Google's 2004 version, finding important
declines in both presentation and substance of disclosures.

Ben