Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Boston police fight cellphone recordings

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:10:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Labmanager <labmanager () gmail com>
Date: January 14, 2010 3:39:33 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] . Re Boston police fight cellphone recordings

Dr. Farber,

The people replying to this story are over thinking the issue. This really has nothing to do with "Two Party Consent" or consent of any type. This has everything to do with police officers using highly questionable tactics to confiscate and delete potentially damaging video. Video which would likely result in civil or even criminal charges being brought against the officers involved.

Until someone passes a law making it a crime for a police officer to confiscate video made by citizens on the streets this practice will continue. Of course that would empower the pubic, which is not a trend America has been following for the last decade.

Personally, I'd like to see the officers in such cases charged with tampering with or destroying evidence .

Jerry