Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Stop the panic on air security - err, no, irradiate it

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:19:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Ackerman <eackerma () u washington edu>
Date: January 14, 2010 5:09:43 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Stop the panic on air security - err, no, irradiate it

Greetings Dave,
An anecdote IPers may find enlightening...

As a result of the original radiation email I sent you I've received a
large number of intelligent off-list emails very similar to Gene
Spafford's below.  These emails all emphasize just-how-small-a-risk
the radiation exposure from a airport x-ray is, and how, say, working
by a brick building or flying for just 2 minutes exceeds this risk.
One email even highlighted that it made more sense from a radiation
avoidance perspective to build a layer of lead shielding onto the
plane than to avoid a screening.

Exactly - and yet that's just how far we're going to fight such a
small a risk with this onerous, invasive screening system. If we were
truly worried about airline safety, there are millions of better ways
to save lives.  The radiation danger from [X-ray scans OR airline
terrorism] is so so so so small that it is dwarfed by all the other
daily risks of living.

As a safety precaution, x-ray scans are just so far down on the
lives-saved list that it actually makes more sense to build a lead
airplane.