Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: [BarryDGold () ca rr com: Re: AT&T Asks FCC to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:08:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () ISI EDU>

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Joe Baptista <baptista () publicroot org
<mailto:baptista () publicroot org>>
*Date:* December 31, 2009 4:27:25 PM EST
*To:* Bob Poortinga <nnsquad () k9sql us <mailto:nnsquad () k9sql us>>
*Cc:* <mailto:nnsquad () nnsquad org>nnsquad () nnsquad org
<mailto:nnsquad () nnsquad org>
*Subject:* *[ NNSquad ] Re: [BarryDGold () ca rr com: Re: AT&T Asks FCC
to Kill Conventional (POTS) Phone Service]*

POTS is more secure then IP. Getting rid of POTS puts the government
of the United States in a very vulnerable position with respect to
national security. POTS is the only reliable service for national
emergencies.

FWIW, POTS is the reason I won't upgrade my phone to FIOS. 8 hours of
battery backup simply isn't enough in earthquake territory. I can't
understand a sane person giving up copper given the alternatives.

Joe