Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A Family's Horror -- and the Role of Google Images

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:38:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <ljcamp () indiana edu>
Date: February 6, 2010 5:08:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: A Family's Horror -- and the Role of Google Images

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
Date: February 5, 2010 2:33:20 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>

[For IP, if you like]Should a police officer have disclosed evidence in this fashion? Certainly not. But it might just as well have been a reporter or a passer-by with a camera, and *that* person is under no moral or ethical constraint in this situation. The officer at the scene's error lies in acting momentarily in a normal (if regrettable) civilian role when his professional role was called for. The officers who re-circulated the photo acted insensitively and in bad taste, but if they did it using personal resources they have done no wrong, and if they did it using office resources they have done no more wrong than you or I do daily at *our* jobs in using our employers' resources for momentary personal activity. I do not like these conclusions, but they are no less true for my dislike.

Just because a thing is appropriately legal does not make it right or even "not wrong". I do hope we can grow to a point where it is the person who posts the video or photo is the subject of shame, not the subject of the image. Adultery, is a case in point. Now in a heterosexual relationship when a man breaks his vows, it is widely seen as shameful to the man and not the woman. It certainly should not be illegal, and a spouse who is betrayed is not the one deserving of opprobrium. This is a significant, even radical, social change.

Now when a girl sends a semi-nude photo to an untrustworthy forward- happy male, she is one shamed for being sexual while the betraying male is relieved of agency. To add to this the claim that what is done is, "no wrong", is to add insult to injury. When an adult male in a position of authority sends imagery out to the world for the entertainment of others in the actual destruction of a teenage girl, this is in no way "not wrong".

Social change that can happen. But for it to happen, we have to acknowledge that it is the voyeurs and posters, not the subject, who are in the wrong.

thanks -