Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: must read ] Case closed: why most of USA lacks 100Mbps 'Net connections

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:39:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: February 27, 2010 11:16:50 AM EST
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] must read ] Case closed: why most of USA lacks 100Mbps 'Net connections

Dave [for IP if you like]--

A critical number that we all forget when talkinig about (wireline)  BB to every home: less than 80% (maybe more like
76%) of US households have a PC, and this number exhibits almost no recent growth. 63% of households now have BB.  If
you don't have a PC you will never get wireline BB.  So our actual room for improvement in wireline BB (to catch up
with Denmark and Korea in the OECD league tables, if that is our national objective) is very slim.

I agree with Genachowski and Blair Levin at the FCC that we need to plan much more seriously about wireless BB.

Professor Emeritus Gerry Faulhaber
Wharton School and Penn Law, University of Pennsylvania