Interesting People mailing list archives

Re "Net Neutrality: Towards a Co-Regulatory Solution"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:35:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Marsden <cmars () essex ac uk>
Date: February 1, 2010 2:25:17 AM EST
To: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Cc: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] "Net Neutrality: Towards a Co-Regulatory Solution"

This really is becoming farcical - Chapter 7 is about European mobile networks, of which there are 4 majors: Vodafone,
Telefonica, T-Mobile and Orange. The latter three are owned by European former monopoly providers, in Spain, Germany
and France respectively. They have mopped up mobile carriers in other countries, though the net neutral carrier
Hutchison 3 is still independent in the UK.

The first half of that chapter examines the negotiated self-regulation of mobile Internet content within walled
gardens, before moving on to consider how the US is excepted from the discussion because of the European adoption of
the Calling Party Pays model for interconnection.

So that chapter is not about the United States except as an EXCEPTION to the proposed solutions!

The conclusion is that Europe will in all likelihood never have net neutrality for mobile, and I suggest instead
tighter interconnection and roaming regulation.

I hope that helps - the book is here: http://bit.ly/buQqi7