Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast Expands DNSSEC Trial, Announces Implementation Plans

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:46:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Livingood <jason_livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: February 23, 2010 11:21:42 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Comcast Expands DNSSEC Trial, Announces Implementation Plans

Dave – For IP if you wish:

We just added a new post to our blog (http://blog.comcast.com/2010/02/dnssec.html ) that summarizes our plan to implement DNSSEC validation in the DNS servers that our customers use, as well as for the signing of authoritative domains such as comcast.com. We are also announcing an expansion of our DNSSEC trial.

First, we plan to sign the domain names we manage, such as xfinity.com, by the end of the first quarter of 2011, if not sooner. While we are already signing several domains today on a trial basis, such as comcast.org, this is our goal for signing the full range of domains that we own (there are thousands).

Second, by the end of 2011, if not sooner, we plan to implement DNSSEC validation in all of the recursive DNS servers (a.k.a. caching servers) that our customers use every day. Customers will not need to make any changes to their configurations in order to take advantage of that; this will automatically occur via DHCP lease updates at that time.

Third, Comcast customers who would like to start using a DNSSEC- validating DNS server today, can immediately do so on an opt-in basis as the next step in our DNSSEC technical trials. Details are at http://www.dnssec.comcast.net. The servers supporting this are operating in our production network, not a trial network, and are deployed nationally in the same locations as our other DNS servers that customers use everyday.

We hope that by announcing our DNSSEC plans, and immediately making available our Anycast-based DNSSEC-validating servers, we will catalyze other stakeholders to really focus on DNSSEC, and do their share to ensure we collectively have a secure foundation for the Internet. Just as with IPv6, it's time for organizations to get serious about DNSSEC and today we take another step in doing our share to move the Internet community ahead.

Finally, I'd like to anticipate one question some readers of IP might ask, which is how we reconcile the use of DNS redirect as used in Comcast Domain Helper (and as described in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-dns-redirect ), with our plan to implement DNSSEC. The answer is that we believe that DNSSEC is basically incompatible with current DNS redirect technology. We have always known this and we expect that one result of turning on DNSSEC validation will be that Domain Helper's DNS redirect functionality will need to be disabled, absent any additional IETF standards work or other technology advances (and we're not aware of any work on either of these fronts). I anticipate updating our IETF draft on this subject soon, but probably will not have time to do so until after IETF 77, which takes place in late March.

For more information on the DNSSEC deployment at Comcast, please check out http://www.dnssec.comcast.net.

Regards,

Jason Livingood
Internet Systems Engineering