Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:23:04 -0500

I think this is worth on list djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: ken <ken () new-isp net>
Date: February 15, 2010 7:56:05 AM EST
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: FW: [IP] re Google Plans to Build Ultra High-Speed Broadband Networks

Bob,

I fully expect that Dave will opt to take this off-list as it seems that
we may be some of the few who are interested in this discussion, which,
to be quite blunt with you, may be indicative of why this problem exist
in the country.

Speaking directly to your inquiry as to whether I accept that "prices
and difficulties are due to policy not technology" I would counter by
saying that this is not a binary situation.

We do agree that policy is a contributing factor in the cost of these
networks and I would even go as far as to suggest that policy could be
considered to be one of the most detrimental influences in the ongoing
delay the construction of next generation communications infrastructure.

Where we seem to have a disconnect is that there is a price, an
incredibly steep cost, to building one of these networks.

Here's a down and dirty analysis of that cost for your consideration.

According to the NationalAtlas.gov, there are four million miles of
roads and streets in the United States.
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/transportation.html

The Fiber-to-the-Home Council claims that "Fiber to the home networks
now pass more than 15 percent of the homes on the continent..."

If we are willing to accept those numbers we have the following data to
work with.

4,000,000 X .85 = 3,400,000 miles of raodway that needs to have fiber laid.

There are roughly 110,000,000 residential units in the US (including
MTUs) - with no allowance for business structures. 85% of 110,000,000
gives us 93,500,000 homes which need to be connected.

Using the $5K per mile number (which is certainly low for locations like
NYC) we can put a minimal price on what it would cost to connect the
remaining unserved part of the country.

3,400,000 X 5,000 = $17,000,000,000

Now let's assign the $600 number quoted to connect each household that
is currently not serviced. 93,500,000 X $600 = $56,100,000,000.

All total, we have $73,100,000,000 - which in the greater scheme of
things is not a lot of money, as we are both likely to agree. But,
remember, there is no allowance for trucks, warehouses, offices, and all
of the necessary additional supporting material and resources that a
project like this would require. If I had to put a number on that I
would suggest that the additional costs would more than quadruple the
number provided above.

But here's the rub...

This year the money handed out for heating energy assistance was cut but
roughly 50%. In my area of the country, we have serious problems as
senior citizens are turning their thermostats down to dangerous levels.

Selling the idea that tax dollars should be used to pay for what many
Americans consider to be a private corporation's property is going to be
a tough sell.

I fully expect that you and I would consider this to be an excellent
investment. For my part, there are any number of defense department
projects I would happily jettison in exchange for this infrastructure
but I doubt we could push this through Congress.

One other point that you raised, why Brett holds the views that he does,
I would not presume to speak for Brett but as someone that invested a
lot of his own money to build a WISP I believe I can speak to one aspect
of this point.

Exactly how do I get compensated for the work and money I laid out, both
from a business standpoint and as a way of investing in my community? If
the government comes in and uses my tax dollars to put me out of
business, what motivation is there for anyone to make any such
investment in the future? With that said, forget me - what about the
huge corporations who have invested tens of billions of dollars of their
investor's money? How does that get settled?

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro
Ellerslie MD

Bob, if you have some free time I would enjoy taking this discussion to
the phone, as email only lends itself to less involved subject matter.