Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: UN calls for global cyber treaty

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:21:45 -0500

From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema () microsoft com>
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Date: February 02, 2010 01:09:01 AM EST
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:    UN calls for global cyber treaty

As everything in life seems to go in cycles, the "public/private network"
oscillation is a common one - in this case, the urge to put it all "on the
net" is fueled by ease of access and lowered expense - isn't it great that
we can access the control system from anywhere?  and we don't have
the expense and effort of administering a separate network...  and it just
looks so much more MODERN.  We all want to look modern, right?

But running a private network, supposedly isolated, is not without its own risks. Because the public infrastructure is
subject to more attacks, it evolves faster, putting private infrastructure at risk of becoming obsolete sooner. Also,
the private network is typically design with a crunchy crust and soft core approach, that can lead to catastrophic
failures. Nothing replaces a good design. And a good design has to follow sound principles like attack surface
reduction or defense in depth...

-- Christian Huitema