Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Stanford finds computer science students cheat more than others

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:29:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mr Richard Berlin <rberlin () pacbell net>
Date: February 11, 2010 11:24:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Stanford finds computer science students cheat more than others

In addition to more comprehensive detection tools, I think the change in the level of basic computer literacy may be
contributing here.

I was a grading assistant in intro CS courses at Stanford in 1982-1983.      Even without the electronic measures they
have developed in the intervening years, we averaged about 1 case caught each term, dutifully referred through the
honor code process...and to our knowledge never had a single student sanctioned.   A lecturer I worked with at the time
opined that the committee members dealing with the cases were not well-versed enough in such matters to understand how
damning the evidence was: for example, another grader and I were gabbing and discovered that we each had in our stacks
a final project submission with 17 compiler errors.   This prompted us to do a file diff which showed that the programs
were character-for-character identical except for a comment on the last line saying something like "(* have a nice
xmas! *)"

 -- Rich