Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING Good read Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:56:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Stewart Baker <stewart.baker () gmail com>
Date: February 10, 2010 9:39:24 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Good read Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

Dave,

IANA(c)L, thank God, but it seems to me that Google is more the victim
of copyright law here than the aggressor.

Wacky as it may seem, everything you or I write is copyrighted,
whether we publish it, put a (c) by it, or not.  Which means, among
other things, that you are committing a technical violation of
copyright every time you forward someone else's email.  I say
technical because social mores treat this as a non-violation, which
means it would probably be treated as fair use, today.  But I remember
when reproducing copyrighted material for free was also treated as a
non-violation.  Mores change, or are changed by copyright holders
monetizing their product.

Because mores change, no business can afford to "technically" violate
copyright laws, with their punitive pro-plaintiff rules.  Certainly a
business that forwards, distributes, translates, and reproduces
gigabytes of technically copyrighted material every day can't afford
to rely on social mores to protect itself from liability.

The solution seems to be the "license" that Google includes in its
standard terms.  If you read it, you'll see that the things Google
gets a license to do are pretty much what you'd expect a good email
provider to do.

So if you don't like the license, don't blame Google.

Blame the copyright lawyers.

Oh, and by the way, congrats, Dave, this analysis would seem to make
your list one of the biggest sustained copyright violators in history.
I hope that doesn't mean we'll all have to grant you licenses to stay
on the list.

Stewart

(And for the record, this message is hereby Creative Commons licensed:
Attribution-NonCommercial)