Interesting People mailing list archives

interconnecting data

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:07:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "James J. O'Donnell" <provost () georgetown edu>
Date: February 1, 2010 9:01:56 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: interconnecting data

Dave, I entered a NYC office building the other day and as usual
nowadays had to sign in and get a little badge printed out for me,
which authorized me through the turnstile.  A wrinkle I hadn't noticed
before:  guy took my driver's license (from another state) and dipped
it in a reader slot, studied his screen readout a bit but didn't type
anything, just pushed a couple of buttons, and out printed a badge
with my name correctly spelled.  Suggests at least that they're
reading driver's license data directly; now, question is, if there
were a police officer in Kansas (a state I've never visited or had
business in) who really wanted to talk to me, would he know by now
that I was in that building the other day?  The capacity is certainly
there.

Jim O'Donnell