Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC contract on measuring BB performance

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:42:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Faulhaber, Gerald" <faulhabe () wharton upenn edu>
Date: April 21, 2010 11:41:22 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: FCC contract on measuring BB performance

Dave [for IP]—

FCC has just signed a deal with SamKnows, a British outfit that is a leader in measuring Internet/broadband performance
and has worked extensively with OfCom.  The Public Notice is here:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-670A1.pdf .

This is excellent news indeed for us transparency buffs; further, they seem to have got it absolutely right.  Kudos
(for once;-) to the FCC guys, especially to Peter Bowen (recently left) and his successor Dave Vorhaus who toiled
diligently on the transparency issue (with a little help from moi).

Professor Emeritus Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Dept.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Professor Emeritus of Law
University of Pennsylvania

and from another IPer

"FCC Data Testing to Stimulate British Economy?

By Amy Schatz

The Federal Communications Commission announced plans Friday to install sensors in the homes of volunteers around the
U.S. to monitor their Internet speed, part of a broader effort by the agency to gather more data on U.S. broadband
speeds.

To take on the task, the FCC awarded nearly $600,000 in stimulus funds to SamKnows Ltd, a London-based firm which has
done similar work for Ofcom, the U.K.’s equivalent of the FCC.

Last year, Congress appropriated $787 billion in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to help stimulate the
economy and create U.S. jobs. Congress included a provision in the legislation requiring goods used in stimulus
projects to be made in the U.S., but some exceptions are allowed.

“Our priority is conducting the most thorough study that will offer the greatest benefit to the American public and
increase transparency in our broadband marketplace,” said a FCC spokeswoman in a statement. “The FCC determined that
the proposal from SamKnows represented the best value. Moreover, SamKnows has conducted a similar project for Ofcom
in the United Kingdom which has been very well received.”

The company is expected to open an office in the U.S. and create five to 10 U.S. jobs.

It’s not clear how many companies bid on the FCC contract, although five companies with U.S. addresses were listed on
an “interested vendor” list published on the FCC’s contracting website. Among them was a unit of ratings and research
giant Nielsen Co. A company spokesman confirmed the company bid for the contract.

On its Web site, the British company said it will install a special “white box” in volunteers’ homes that would allow
the company and the volunteers to monitor connection speeds. The FCC said it will begin accepting applications for
volunteers shortly. It’s expecting to put the devices in about 10,000 homes.

“We’re delighted to be building on the success of the work we’ve undertaken in the UK over the past three years where
we’ve uncovered a clear discrepancy between what the ISP’s are saying and what the consumer is actually receiving,”
said SamKnows CEO Alex Salter, in a statement.

The FCC’s National Broadband Plan included several recommendations aimed at providing consumers with more information
about the Internet speeds they receive at home. There’s often a difference between the advertised speed that Internet
providers say they’ll provide and the actual speed that consumers get.

Recently, the FCC released a broadband speed test on its Web site (and via an iPhone app), to make it easier for
consumers to get a general sense of what speed they’re getting.

“We are tremendously excited about this announcement, the next step in the process of increasing transparency and
competition in the broadband market and better informing consumers about their broadband service,” wrote Dave
Vorhaus, an FCC advisor in a blog post Friday.

“The measurements will give us results across a broad swath of providers, service tiers and geographic areas,” he
said.

"