Interesting People mailing list archives

re good read: Please do not change your password

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:33:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () umich edu>
Date: April 17, 2010 12:01:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] good read: Please do not change your password

Jonathan Shapiro makes a good point about the limitations of Herley's argument, but his own example about insurance
contains a similar limitation.

Insurance is a rational investment because the *utility* functions of the individual insurance-purchasers are
different from the utility function of the insurance company that aggregates the risk.  For an individual, the
negative utility of a loss increases non-linearly with the dollar cost.  The insurance company has a large enough
asset base and risk pool so its utility function can increase linearly with cost.  The disparity of the two utility
functions makes the insurance deal (in principle) a good deal from both sides.

That is, if I get seriously injured or ill, medical bills in the millions could bankrupt me and my family, while
paying a few thousand a year for insurance will not make a qualitative difference to my life (though the quantitative
difference might still be annoying).

Carrying this back to password security, Gene Spafford's point is relevant.  The small but annoying cost of
continually changing passwords does not actually provide the coverage one might believe, since the risks have changed.

It's like paying those insurance premiums, and then discovering when it's too late that the insurance company won't
cover your loss.

Ben Kuipers