Interesting People mailing list archives

Five reasons iPhone vs Android isn't Mac vs Windows

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:38:02 -0400

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: April 28, 2010 6:15:28 AM PDT
Subject: Five reasons iPhone vs Android isn't Mac vs Windows

Five reasons iPhone vs Android isn't Mac vs Windows

By Mark Sigal on April 26, 2010 6:00 AM

Last week I presented at Stanford Graduate School of Business in a
session on Mobile Computing called, "Creating Mobile Experiences:
It's the Platform, Stupid."

As the title underscores, I am a big believer that to understand what
makes mobile tick, you really need to look beyond a device's hardware
shell (important, though it is), and fully factor in the composite
that includes its software and service layers; developer tools and
the ecosystem "surround." Successful platforms, after all, are more
than the sum of their parts' propositions. They are not simply a
bunch of dis-integrated ingredients.

Having built hardware and software platforms since 1994, this thought
process has led me to harp endlessly on why the iPhone platform (and
its derivatives) is such a game changer. By contrast, I would argue
that the long-term success of Android is anything but a given.

It's human nature to look to the past in an attempt to understand the
future. As such, I was unsurprised when I was asked during my
presentation if Apple and iPhone vs Google and Android in mobile
computing is "destined" to play out as Apple and the Mac did when
confronted by Microsoft and Windows in the PC wars.

As I have provided "big picture" analysis on this topic before in
other posts (here and here), I want to share what I see as the five
"little picture" reasons Apple vs Google isn't destined for the same
outcome as Apple vs Microsoft: