Interesting People mailing list archives

Researchers hack India's voting machines

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:43:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Date: April 28, 2010 7:28:06 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Researchers hack India's voting machines

http://indiaevm.org/

Security Analysis of India's Electronic Voting Machines

J. Alex Halderman, Hari K. Prasad, Rop Gonggrijp

Abstract: Elections in India are conducted almost exclusively using
electronic voting machines developed over the past two decades by a
pair of government-owned companies. These devices, known in India as
EVMs, have been praised for their simple design, ease of use, and
reliability, but recently they have also been criticized because of
widespread reports of election irregularities. Despite this criticism,
many details of the machines' design have never been publicly
disclosed, and they have not been subjected to a rigorous, independent
security evaluation. In this paper, we present a security analysis of
a real Indian EVM obtained from an anonymous source. We describe the
machine's design and operation in detail, and we evaluate its
security, in light of relevant election procedures. We conclude that
in spite of the machine's simplicity and minimal trusted computing
base, it is vulnerable to serious attacks that can alter election
results and violate the secrecy of the ballot. We demonstrate two
attacks, implemented using custom hardware, which could be carried out
by dishonest election insiders or other criminals with only brief
physical access to the machines. This case study contains important
lessons for Indian elections and for electronic voting security more
generally.

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate