Interesting People mailing list archives

Four US Senators ask Facebook to reconsider changes that reduce privacy

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:05:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: April 27, 2010 8:17:33 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Four US Senators ask Facebook to reconsider changes that reduce privacy

Four US Senators ask Facebook to reconsider recent changes that reduce privacy.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36406.html

Excerpts from their letter:

"1. Publicly available data. Facebook’s expansion of publicly
available data to include a user’s current city, hometown, education,
work, likes, interests, and friends has raised concerns for users who
would like to have an opt-in option to share this profile information.
Through the expanded use of “connections,” Facebook now obligates
users to make publicly available certain parts of their profile that
were previously private. ..."

"2. Third party data storage. Previously, Facebook allowed third-party
advertisers to store profile data for 24 hours. We are concerned that
recent changes allow that data to be stored indefinitely. ..."

"3. Instant personalization. We appreciate that Facebook is attempting
to integrate the functionality of several popular websites, and that
Facebook has carefully selected its initial partners for its new
“instant personalization” feature. We are concerned, however, that
this feature will now allow certain third party partners to have
access not only to a user’s publicly available profile information,
but also to the user’s friend list and the publicly available
information about those friends."

"We hope that Facebook will stand by its goal of creating open and
transparent communities by working to ensure that its policies protect
the sensitive personal biographical data of its users and provide them
with full control over their personal information. We look forward to
the FTC examining this issue, but in the meantime we believe Facebook
can take swift and productive steps to alleviate the concerns of its
users. Providing opt-in mechanisms for information sharing instead of
expecting users to go through long and complicated opt-out processes
is a critical step towards maintaining clarity and transparency."

Sincerely,

U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer (D-NY)

U.S. Senator Michael Bennet (D-CO)

U.S. Senator Mark Begich (D-AK)