Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 1983 and Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:27:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave CROCKER <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: September 14, 2009 10:39:58 AM EDT
To: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Subject: Re: 1983 and Internet

Craig Partridge wrote:
The CSNET project, in particular, remembered that because they'd prepared carefully and had an TCP/IP SMTP server that worked pretty well, a number of folks fixed initial email problems by forwarding all their outbound email to the CSNET relay and letting CSNET sort it out... Of course, the CSNET relay software was not so mature that it took this sort of abuse easily and

Craig is being kind about the state of the software. I had added initial support TCP/IP to MMDF, which meant that it could relay between Arpanet and TCP/IP nodes. Then I left.

The code was extremely immature and needed substantial work by a core set of MMDF-related folk, including CSNet and Army Materiel Command.

It's probably also worth noting that Vint gave UDel a contract -- separate from CSNet -- to run an Arpanet/Internet email relay site. Since I left before it was needed, I didn't hear how well that worked out...

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking