Interesting People mailing list archives

Correction of my last two comments "the net"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:25:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Crocker <steve () shinkuro com>
Date: September 12, 2009 7:08:34 PM EDT
To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: Correction of my last two comments [IP] "the net"

As the person coined both "Host-Host Protocol" and "Network Control Program (NCP)" I'll chime in briefly.

As you point out, the original designation of the connection oriented protocol between hosts on the Arpanet was "Host-Host Protocol." In describing the protocol, we focused attention the need to implement new software within the operating system of each host. That software would talk to the IMP and provide access to the net to (usually) multiple users on that host. I called that required piece of software the Network Control Program, abbreviated NCP.

The term "Host-Host Protocol" was too generic and didn't provide enough of a cognitive distinction from other protocols, and the designation "NCP" got adopted as a replacement for "Host-Host Protocol", and, of course, it was naturally to redefine the acronym to mean Network Control Protocol. Though I did find it bemusing to see the shift in terminology, I'm not inclined to denigrate that process by calling it slang. At the end of the day, it's a question of what works, i.e. which terms take root and which ones don't.

Now, on the other hand, I have always thought TCP was indeed the replacement for the Host-Host Protocol. They serve the same purpose, or at least were intended to, viz reliable, end-to-end stream on which various application protocols would rest. It obviously wasn't a drop in replacement. Rather, it was a competitive, incompatible, new protocol, but it occupied the same position in the protocol stack. Hmm... Not unlike IPv6 re IPv4. TCP also rested on top of the new IP layer, which had no counterpart in the original Arpanet.

Steve