Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Internet still reshaping history ( with comment by the editor)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:36:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gordon Peterson <gep2 () terabites com>
Date: September 10, 2009 12:41:50 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Internet still reshaping history

Perhaps this was your point, but just to clarify the record:

1. The first spreadsheet program worthy of being called that really was Visicalc, which was a revolutionary concept (although I have to confess I'm among those who really didn't realize its significance at the time...! My reaction was "it's easy to write the expressions for each of those cells/variables.") Even from the Microsoft stable, their Multiplan spreadsheet software preceded Excel.

2. The first "personal computer" worthy of the term really was the Datapoint 2200. That machine was the machine for which the Intel 8008 (the first one-chip general purpose 8-bit microprocessor) was created, the architecture whose evolutionary descendants still power PCs to this day. It was the first totally self-contained desktop computer system, looking like a piece of office equipment, designed for use by one user, integrating a keyboard and CRT display (and magnetic digital storage) in the package, with an operating system, utilities, higher- level business-oriented programming languages, general editor, text formatting package, communications programs, and more.

The Apple II was principally notable, at the time, by the fact that it had a more finished packaging than most of the other hobbyist/home- oriented machines then available. (Its packaging, though, was certainly no more finished than that of the Datapoint 2200... much less so, in fact). It's undeniable that the Apple II was less expensive than the Datapoint 2200, but then again the 2200 did a whole lot more than the Apple II did, too.

But anyhow, Microsoft didn't invent the spreadsheet (even as the "architects") and Steve Jobs (and Apple) didn't invent the personal computer (even as "the architect"). Both of those companies were latecomers to the party, even as "architects".

(By the same token, Ethernet wasn't the first LAN, and Bob Metcalfe didn't invent it either... Ethernet was not much more than a wired implementation of the University of Hawaii's "Project Aloha", which was an RF-wireless local area network... and the origins even made more clear by the bizarrely inappropriate name "Ethernet" for a CABLED network, where Project Aloha, being wireless, transmitted through "the ether"...!) [editor's note: its interesting historically and the DCS token ring was contemporary with the ethernet. The design of the token ring was read by IBM with minor deletions and became a commercial token ring. (For those who would debate that I have a note from a very senior IBMer acknowledging that fact. I got rather annoyed with IBM for publishing their design as if it was their idea and wrote to them asking them to be "professional".

Metcalfe and I outlined a proposed joint paper showing how in many ways ethernet and the token ring were very similar. For number of reasons it never got completed.

I never found that worthwhile to go around demanding priority on innovations I made. I was happy, maybe naïvely, to look at what it contributed to the field and more importantly what graduate students got their thesis based on the working on the projects.]

It is strange how some fictions about "who created what" get fixated in popular culture.