Interesting People mailing list archives

Once Again, Entertainment Industry Looks To Force Massive Copyright Changes Via Int'l Treaties

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 08:37:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: September 25, 2009 5:07:58 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Once Again, Entertainment Industry Looks To Force Massive Copyright Changes Via Int'l Treaties

Once Again, Entertainment Industry Looks To Force Massive Copyright Changes Via Int'l Treaties
from the how-the-game-is-played dept
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20090925/0128446320.shtml>

By now you should know that one of the entertainment industry's favorite tools for forcing ever more draconian copyright laws around the world is to use international treaties. Such treaties are not put together by elected officials, but appointed diplomats, often with tremendous input (to the point of allowing them to write the details) from industries that are protected. Then, once those treaties are in place, copyright maximalists just get to sit back and say "but we must make our copyright laws stronger if we ever expect to live up to our international obligations..." The latest such attempt is the infamous ACTA bill, which the entertainment industry has had a heavy hand in crafting -- but the public is told that the treaty negotiations are matters of national security and cannot be revealed. Uh huh.

[snip]
RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>