Interesting People mailing list archives

Google restrained in its ads by interim order in India (over trademarks)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:52:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: September 24, 2009 11:39:26 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [IP] Google restrained in its ads by interim order in India (over trademarks)

Dave,

For [IP] consideration.

Hadn't seen this picked up much (or maybe I missed it):

"
No Shaadi on BharatMatrimony for now, court orders Google
Te Narasimhan / Chennai September 23, 2009, 0:17 IST
The High Court here granted the owner of bharatmatrimony.com an interim order, restraining Google India from using its ads on the former’s platform to sell space to the petitioner’s competitors."

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/no-shaadibharatmatrimony-for-now-court-orders-google/370964/

I think there are 2 issues. One is competitors bidding on the word/ phrase. The other is can Google keyword suggestions be competitor names? The latter is a more interesting Q.

Rahul