Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Turning Research into Inventions and Jobs - BusinessWeek

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:21:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob2-39 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 21, 2009 11:03:45 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "Mark D Stahlman" <Newmedia () aol com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Turning Research into Inventions and Jobs - BusinessWeek

I wrote http://frankston.com/?n=OFI in response to this entrepreneur- chic model or the idea that we can just “innovate”. Innovation itself is a particular skill or approach like doing arithmetic. Perhaps I’m too close to this having been active in the “entrepreneurship/ innovation” scene for a few decades though only now it is chic. I worry that it’s coming back to the earlier meaning of impresario.

If we are going to teach entrepreneurship we must require that 90% of the classes be devoted to the failures because that is the norm and you learn from failures. If you only look at the successes then you might as well teach the lottery as an investment strategy or just blow bubbles (as per Mark Stahlman’s concern).

Sure we need to teach people about business beyond the lemonade stand model but let’s not eat our seed stock by saying that only those ideas with immediate commercial success are worthy of note. Entrepreneurs are useful but some are like horses with blinders – their success depends on not being distracted by larger concepts. This isn’t a put- down – OK, maybe it is because I get frustrated with people I can’t easily distract. It’s a recognition that we need to appreciate different skills and focus is an important skill. Focus can be a skill for researchers too but we also need those with other skills too including the political skills to rally people around projects with more scope than a single startup.

Even within a business we need to be wary about saying that everything has to be a profit center – we also need to appreciate those who contribute to the commons without trying to capture all the value. Is the purpose of a university to maximize its endowment?

That’s said, I better get back to trying to work with people to form companies …