Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: From an Economist -- How Did Economists Get It So Wrong?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:53:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: September 20, 2009 12:18:10 PM EDT
To: faulhabe () wharton upenn edu, fjcochra () chicagobooth edu, nelson () crynwr com , dave () farber net
Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com, tlauck () madriver com
Subject: Re: [IP] From an Economist -- How Did Economists Get It So Wrong?

Gerald:

Thanks but it seems that John did not answer my questions regarding the priority placed by economists on analysis of business cycles and bubble/crash events.

What is the number of PhD students working on the topic, for instance? How did the profession respond to the Fed-organized 90's conference on the topic? Or to Carlota Perez's publications?

I am a Wall Street technology equities analyst. I can only ask economists what has been going on in their field. My own efforts to survey their research will, of necessity, be partial at best. I have asked as many economists as I can and have searched where I could. I came up with nothing -- which I am reporting.

If I am wrong I invite corrections. So far none have been offered. Are you correcting me? Do you know the answers to these questions?

Mark Stahlman
New York City