Interesting People mailing list archives

EOP solicitation, "Web Archive"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:20:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: September 2, 2009 1:05:18 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Brewster Kahle <brewster () archive org>
Subject: EOP solicitation, "Web Archive"

This solicitation came to my attention for someone's posting about it on FaceBook, forwarding a right-wing blog's talking it up as the White House wanting to vacuum all social media sites to collect information on detractors, a la Nixon's enemies list. So I figured I ought to post about it here, first, to beat the paranoid crowd to the podium:

https://www.fbo.gov/spg/EOP/OP/WashingtonDC/WHO-S-09-0003/listing.html

"The contractor shall provide the necessary services to capture, store, extract to approved formats, and transfer content published by EOP on publicly-accessible web sites, along with information posted by non-EOP persons on publicly-accessible web sites where the EOP offices under PRA maintains a presence, throughout the term of the contract. The contractor shall if possible, capture, store, extract to approved formats, and transfer content published by EOP on non-public websites. The contractor shall include in the information posted by non-EOP persons on publicly-accessible web sites where the EOP maintains a presence both comments posted on pages created by EOP and messages sent to EOP accounts on those web sites. Publicly-accessible sites may include, but are not limited to social networking sites. The contractor shall provide a user-friendly way of organizing and searching captured information. The contractor shall properly transfer the captured information, as identified by EOP, to NARA in an acceptable format for both preservation in NARA's Electronic Records Archive and presentation at the future Presidential Library. The Contractor shall provide a method to separate content posted by other EOP component offices as required."

In a nutshell, the solicitation says, "The White House posts stuff online: we need someone to collect that for archival purposes [for the National Archives] along with all public comments that refer to those White House postings."

This is exactly what I'd have recommended, re being responsive to the public discussion, in the information age. The scope is only what the White House itself posts, and what the public then, as public postings, says in comment to that. Bravo! (And recalling that the previous administration somehow managed to lose millions of e-mail records that ought to have similarly been delivered to NARA.)

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.