Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC Boss Calls For Net Neutrality (T, VZ, CMCSA, GOOG)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:48:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: September 19, 2009 16:45:14 EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Boss Calls For Net Neutrality (T, VZ, CMCSA, GOOG)

I understand Glass is a smal businessman. What I don't understand is why he argues that small businesses are the target of this rule, or that small businesses should be given the right to read contents of packets and discriminate based on content.

As far as I know, package delivery services do fine without opening boxes, even when they are one-person bicycle couriers. That's what is meant by non-discriminatory service.

And taxicabs are required as a condition of their license by a city to carry anyone, regardless of race or sex.

ISPs operate (no matter what the scale) based on licenses from government. Even Brett's ISP does.

I really like small businesses. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have to follow *any* rules.

(and the slam of Google is really weird.  Google isn't even an ISP.)