Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Buys reCAPTCHA, Creating a Potential Privacy Issue

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:31:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: September 17, 2009 2:01:28 AM EDT
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google Buys reCAPTCHA, Creating a Potential Privacy Issue

Declan,

Hi.  My general view is that when products have the potential for
"data correlation" that isn't obvious to the user, it's especially
important that it's clear how the data is being used.

In the reCAPTCHA case, for example, it might not even be obvious
to users that Google potentially was getting the data, unless some
sort of link to a clear expression of policy is present -- something
which, as I noted, CMU failed to do earlier this year.

At this stage, I have no clue if Google is planning to leave reCAPTCHA
branded as is, leave it as is but include a link explaining how Google
will use the data, rebrand it as Google or ...?

For that matter, I don't even know if and how Google intends to
combine and correlate any IP (e.g. location-centric) data -- that would
be collected through reCAPTCHA displays -- with other Google data.

So all I'm really saying in that piece is that (in my opinion) CMU
handled this aspect of reCAPTCHA suboptimally in the past, and I think
it's important that Google do a better job than CMU in making it clear
what their plans for reCAPTCHA data will be -- even if that only means
some clear indication on the reCAPTCHA forms that Google is involved,
so people will know that Google privacy policies will apply.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -