Interesting People mailing list archives

. Should read. Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:34:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: October 12, 2009 17:20:56 EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Fwd: [ NNSq Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I don't regard malware detection as inherently improper; however, I do think there are several principles that Comcast (or whomever) should follow. I'm less concerned about how the notification is done (which is the focus of draft-livingood-web-notification-*.txt), and more interested in classification of malware and in the overall process.

1) The ISP should be forthright about what it is doing, and why. Comcast seems to have fulfilled this point.

2) The classification criteria used should not assume that everyone runs Windows. A Mac, a Linux box, a BSD box, an appliance, etc., will probably have different network behavior patterns; this difference should not be seen as indication of evil.

3) The remediation process should not assume Windows, either. Some sites, if they conclude your machine is infected, reconfigure their DHCP server to put you on a net that has access only to Microsoft patches and Windows anti-malware sites. That won't do me any good if they conclude -- rightly or wrongly -- that my machine is infected, since I generally have no Windows machines in the house. (It's a mix of NetBSD, Linux, and Mac OS.)

4) The classification should not be biased towards today's applications. We do not want the next <voip,twitter,facebook,*WEB*> labeled as "evil" because today's ISPs have never seen a traffic flow like that.

5) The classification should be honest, and not favor the ISP's own revenue-generating applications. Assume, for example, that the ISP has its own VoIP offering, and that for some reason it looks different to their classifier than, say, Vonage's or Skype's or Ooma's. Rejecting these while permitting the captive VoIP offering is dubious, to say the least. (Yes, I know I'm treading on network neutrality turf here...)

6) The notification process should not assume that it's always a human on the client end of a port 80 connection. (The draft was at least somewhat cognizant of the fact that it's not always a web browser.)

7) There needs to easy -- for the customer, and for the ISP -- recourse in event of misclassification. This is hard -- customer care is expensive for ISPs, and both their Tier 1 support and much of their clientele are often of less than expert knowledge, shall we say, when it comes to the fine details of network and OS behavior. (I recall one memorable interaction where I told a Tier 1 person that I was seeing 15% packet loss and 5-90% packet duplication, and was told in return that (a) 15% packet loss is pretty good, and I could repair my performance problems by clearing my Internet Explorer browser cache. This was less than helpful advice, based on a completely inaccurate diagnosis. I fear I wasn't particularly gentle with the rep after that answer.)

8) There should be serious consideration by the ISP of regular reviews by an outside advisory board. Generally, we are dealing with monopoly environments here; assurance that these principles are being followed, and that this isn't a scam by an entrenched incumbent, are valuable for all concerned. Indeed, the ISP itself may find that it benefits from such oversight.