Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Entry level pricing"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:59:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia.cmu () gmail com>
Date: October 4, 2009 1:46:32 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: "Entry level pricing"

[Dave, I don't know if my previous but similar email got to you].

As I mentioned before, broadband is more than speed, but quality.

I *tried* 768 kbps DSL from XXX (384 kbps uplink) but COULD NOT USE VoIP and had to upgrade. You may ask if VoIP really needs that much bandwidth, and whether I really got it. But it's also likely they offer a link that can go "upto" 384 kbps uplink but is likely very heavily oversubscribed or otherwise "optimized" at the central office. [given it is DSL, all modifications are at the CO level]. In contrast, I have relatives in India who, a few years ago, had DSL that was 64 kbps (!). But, they could always use skype to the US crystal clear. In that particular case, my guess was the uplinking routing was also good.

Rahul