Interesting People mailing list archives

Entry level -- wworth reading

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:36:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert J Berger <rberger () ibd com>
Date: October 4, 2009 12:15:01 AM EDT
To: "George Ou" <george_ou () lanarchitect net>
Cc: nnsquad () nnsquad org, David Farber <dave () farber net>, Shannon McElyea <Shannon () ShannonMcElyea com>, Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: nnsquad Digest, Vol 3, Issue 223

Actually George's point is worth talking about because it shows some of the confusion of how "Broadband" is advertised and promoted. But in the end the issue is what Lauren talks about with the "Telco Mentality" (though I don't know George to know if he himself has such a mentality :-)

When people see "3Mbps down / 500kbps up" they just see the "3Mbps". They don't realize that the actual TCP throughput of a link is highly dependent on both directions. The TCP protocol and even most "bulk" UDP protocols like streaming, are not one way. There are ACK packets sent back upstream for ether every packet or some relatively small number of packets sent downstream. If the speed (and really mostly latency) of the upstream is dramatically worse than the downstream (as in the case of 3Mbps/500kbps) then the actual throughput is dramatically less than the rated downstream.

And if you have many users at the office using the same 500kbps upstream, that latency goes up dramatically and the ability to use the 3Mbps downstream is severely limited.

This is a major reason that a 1.5Mbps T1 link can handle a lot more simultaneous users. A T1 link is 1.5Mbps symmetrical. So the upstream is no more limited than the downstream. Also T1 links tend to be better provisioned end-to-end. Consumer DSL infrastructure may have more congestion points from where the DSL line is terminated to wherever the local plant hands off to an Internet Backbone. The minimal cost for a 1.5Mbps T1 to the Internet around here is about $350/month.

Completely independent of the issue of asymmetrical TCP links, in our case of remote access, the 500kbps "upstream at the office is now really the bottleneck for the remote worker as that 500kbps is the "downstream" to the remote site for that link. So for the use of remote access to our office, the real effective speed of that link is 500kbps. We will probably have to get a T1 soon even though its pretty expensive for what little connectivity it delivers.

I think its funny (in a sad way) that copper pair T1's, technology from the late 70's, is still considered the fundamental business connection in the US. Why is it not assumed that most businesses would have a fiber link? We have supercomputers in our pockets but technology for delivering faster and faster connectivity has basically stopped in the US.

The US is doomed to be the first country in modern times to go from being the leading "1st World" country to a "3rd World" country due to political / economic corruption of the means of communications.

Robert J Berger
Internet Bandwidth Development
http://blog.ibd.com