Interesting People mailing list archives

DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:53:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 17, 2009 17:26:23 EDT
To: Peter Thoenen <peter.thoenen () yahoo com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

I don't think the concept of dividing things at the micro level is going to create a technique to reduce costs. The reasoning that leads you to have 8 separate workstations is incredibly flawed in the first place, but the same false reasoning is being applied in MNP at the "virtual" level, which will create huge costs in other dimensions.

If the reasons you have 8 workstations on your desk were examined more clearly, I suspect you would find that the problem is not that they can't run on the same network, but that the fragmentation of information systems at the Application Level and User Level is far more costly in terms of human lives, national treasure, etc.

That is the conversation that DoD cannot have, because it involves personal power, not national safety.