Interesting People mailing list archives

DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:16:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 16, 2009 6:45:13 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Cc: "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>, nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

This is complex. I know a little bit about MNP. I think it is highly confused in its goals. However, there is no way to advise these guys - they just are spending money and seeking bids, without getting graybeard advice from anybody who is not invested in getting lots of do-re-mi in future contracts.

The core idea seems to be that if you are incompatible with the Internet, you can be "secure". It reminds me of when countries justified having different railroad gauges to prevent invasion.

This more David’s area but it sure sounds like some group is nostalgic for the good old days when networks were networks and users weren’t so uppity in attempting to do things that the gods, or generals, didn’t intend them to do.

DARPA wants military to replace TCP/IP with new "Military Network Protocol"

http://bit.ly/2VrhnY  (The Register)

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator