Interesting People mailing list archives

Net Neutrality vs. A Sobering (and Authoritative) Take on Reality

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 03:35:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Erik Cecil <erik.cecil () GMAIL COM>
Date: September 30, 2009 11:49:50 PM EDT
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: Net Neutrality vs. A Sobering (and Authoritative) Take on Reality Reply-To: Telecom Regulation & the Internet <CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM >

*Verizon's response to Vint Cerf's piece on Net Neutrality:  *
http://policyblog.verizon.com/BlogPost/672/MrCerfsPostonNetNeutralityandMyResponse.aspx

Especially enjoyable:

"So why I am I so positive about the future?  Why do I believe we will
continue to see more competition, more consumer choice, more openness and
more innovation?

Because the facts show that the U.S. broadband marketplace is, indeed,
delivering the results one expects from competition and has been for more
than a decade.

Prices have declined <http://www.ustelecom.org/Learn/TelecomStatistics.html > . The average price of entry-level broadband for 5 major providers moved
from $50 a month in 2001, to $33 in 2004, to $25 in 2007.  Verizon’s own
entry-level price in 2009 is $17.99 a month, with a 12 month contract.

Output has increased:  According to
Pew<http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1254/home-broadband-adoption-2009>,
seven out of 10 households still used dial-up modems in 2004. Today only 1
in 10 households use dial-up, while the U.S. broadband marketplace is
perhaps the largest in the world, with nearly 70 million households
connected, up from just 3.2 million in 2000. Furthermore, typical broadband speeds have more than doubled since 2004: DSL has moved from 1.5 mbps to 7; cable has moved from an average of 1.5 to 3 mbps to 8-16 mbps. Fiber didn’t exist in 2004. Today it’s available to more than 15 million households and
delivers speeds of up to 50 mbps up and 20 mbps down.

Furthermore, Internet use is increasingly un-tethered, with portable
connections evolving into mobile. In any given month more than 1 in 3 users now report they’ve used wireless to reach the Internet, up from almost no one in 2004. The U.S. now has 4 nationwide 3G wireless providers, some with plans for 4G wireless that will offer 5 to 12 mbps speeds. A 5th company, Clearwire, is gearing for a nationwide launch of a 4G service using WiMax
technology.  The U.S. has 70,000 WiFi hotspots, the most in the world.
According
to Nielsen, more than 40 million Americans use mobile devices to access the
Internet, more than in any other country in the world."

*A SOBERING AND AUTHORITATIVE TAKE ON REALITY:*

*
*

A tour de force, IMHO, but Lee really gets going around slide 12. Very much
worth the read.

http://www.nasuca.org/Selwyn%20Slides-pp%20boston.ppt