Interesting People mailing list archives

Today's peering system is a perverse tax on innovation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:23:05 -0500

Th current peering structure evolved from an inter-governmental problem. When CSNet was coming up, we, CSNet and Darpa wanted to interconnect. Due to regulations, it was difficult to just connect (not an FCC issue but a USG), so it was decided by NSF and Darpa that the flow was to be assumed to balance and thus no monies needed to be interchanged. While the Peering relationships got a lot more complicated in the commercial era, the assumption that there needed to be a contractual agreement with funds potentially being exchanged stayed. BTW the actual peering agreements, while I was at the FC , were considered to be proprietary an were not available to the FCC

djf

Begin forwarded message: