Interesting People mailing list archives

Use a Camcorder, Go to Jail! -- The Saga Continues

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:05:55 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 6, 2009 1:17:30 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Use a Camcorder, Go to Jail! -- The Saga Continues

            Use a Camcorder, Go to Jail! -- The Saga Continues

               http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000632.html

Greetings.  Controversy rages on regarding the continuing (largely
behind closed doors) efforts of the entertainment industry to elevate
their products to the level of "Masters of the Internet" globally,
complete with Internet cut off mandates and criminal provisions for
activities such as holding up your Flip or cell phone in a movie
theater ( http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4511/125/ ).

As I've said many times, I'm basically sympathetic to the plight of
the recording and film industries.  I've spent my whole life here in
L.A. in the geographic heart of both sectors, have had many friends
working in both, and have enjoyed numerous direct contacts of my own
over the years with recording labels and film studios.

However, what's going on with the current facet of negotiations
involving the ACTA -- the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement -- is
the classical closing of the barn door after the horse has left the
planet.  The rise of digital recording and communications technologies
has eviscerated the concept of "copyright control through scarcity" --
and you don't have to like this state of affairs to admit that it's
true.

The extents to which the entertainment industry has seemed willing to
go in efforts to "undo" history -- not just via the ACTA but in the
past via proposals such as A/D converter restrictions, and currently
with calls to allow shutting off video outputs on set top boxes,
frankly are indicators of desperation and an unwillingness to accept
technical realities.

In fact, the industry has reacted in much the same way with every
technological change -- starting back with sheet music, the
gramophone, VCRs, and so on.  The march of technological progress is
inevitable, short of global thermonuclear war or similar catastrophes.

The old business models in the music and film industries cannot
survive forever (though the latter still seems able to pay the big
bucks to stars for "yet another remake" on an ongoing basis).  I won't
even touch the question of quality in new music releases.

One other point for now.  Draconian criminal "camcorder in theater"
provisions suggest to the public that pirating of films is based on
some guy with a camcorder leaning on his leg who then rushes off to
monetize the result.

In fact -- and this should be obvious since most commercially pirated
films these days are of relatively high copy quality and often hit the
Internet *before* the films' release -- most commercial film
piracy is based on copies that are purloined from within the film
production ecosystem, *not* from copies made after release by
camcorders in theaters.

And of course, all it takes is a single high quality copy of a
song or film that "escapes" for it to be rapidly available illicitly
around the world.  Such escapes are simply inevitable.

That's just the reality.  Attempting to remake the Internet and
associated laws in a desperate struggle to hold back the clock is
about as likely to succeed as holding a bunch of sand in your clenched
fist for very long.

You end up with a pile of sand on your feet.  Or figuratively
speaking, with mud on your face.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
  for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com