Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Obama DOJ defends warrantless wiretaps!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:08:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: November 3, 2009 3:28:46 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: jwarren () well com
Subject: Re: [IP] Obama DOJ defends warrantless wiretaps!

Three things.

1. I dont see where they say confidential information is going to be
provided to the press, or civil liberties organizations.

2. In this case - the assumption would be that a senior enough DoJ official authorized invoking this privilege. Eric Holder is as senior as anybody in
the DoJ gets, so ..

3. I haven't seen where the Obama administration said they'd stop doing
this. What they said was that they'd exercise discretion in using a measure
that certainly predates Bush by several administrations, across both
parties.

        srs

David Farber [03/11/09 02:52 -0500]:
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>

The Bush administration invoked the privilege numerous times in lawsuits over various post-9/11 programs, but the Obama administration recently announced that only a limited number of senior Justice Department officials would be able to make such decisions. It also agreed to provide confidential information to the courts in such cases.

Under the new approach, an agency trying to keep such information secret would have to convince the attorney general and a panel of Justice Department lawyers that its release would compromise national security.