Interesting People mailing list archives

O'Reilly Warns Of Web War

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:40:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Berlin <rberlin () pacbell net>
Date: November 23, 2009 3:46:25 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] O'Reilly Warns Of Web War

[for  IP if you wish]

O'reilly's examples of the behavior are Murdoch's Wall, Apple's mandatory vet of iPhone apps, and Google's offering of free turn-by- turn nav only on Android devices. I'm no Google apologist, but the Android example strikes me as having a contradictory aspect about it: yes, it could be seen as Google advantaging their own platform. I surmise, however, that on Android phones, Google has the clout to insist that this feature be included. On iPhone, Apple and AT&T (who gets revenue from a turn-by-turn service...hmm) hold the reins, and of course they have the poorer track record for openness in these matters. (Apologies for omitting other favorite smartphones, I'm just not knowledgeable about them yet.)

-- Rich

--------
Sent from my iPhone
Richard.Berlin () stanfordalumni org