Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Administration Plans Tougher Antitrust Action - NYTimes.com

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:00:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: May 11, 2009 11:41:00 AM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Administration Plans Tougher Antitrust Action - NYTimes.com

Dave [for IP]

I am cautiously optimistic about this new antitrust policy. Optimistic, because I am in favor of vigorous antitrust enforcement; my general preference is for less detailed regulation and more antitrust as a means of protecting the competitiveness of markets. I also am enthusiastic about her appointments: Carl Shapiro (great economist) and Phil Weiser (great legal scholar). I even like Gene Kimmelman, a dedicated consumer advocate who is willing to engage in serious discussion of economic/consumer issues (we occasionally rode the Red Line together in DC when I was Chief Economist at the FCC in 2000-2001).

Cautious because the focus of antitrust needs to be on protecting customers, not protecting other firms. It is the nature of vigorous competition that some firms win and some lose; witness GM and Chrysler vs. Toyota and Honda. Toyota wins in the auto market because it builds better cars, and Chrysler has no antitrust beef whatsoever: customers are better off as a result of this competition. However, some firms would like protection via antitrust when their competitors win, and they seek to sway DoJ/FTC to fight their battles for them. This needs to be resisted; if companies can provide evidence that the actions of their dominant competitors actually harm customers, then DoJ/FTC can act on that information. But if they simply want protection from competition, no way.

Let's see if the Varney AT Division protects customers or protects competitors. Kudos for the former, raspberries for the latter.

Professor Gerald Faulhaber
Wharton School, Penn Law
University of Pennsylvania

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>