Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cyberspace: doomed to become a "vaster wasteland"?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 14:48:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: May 1, 2009 11:46:59 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Cyberspace: doomed to become a "vaster wasteland"?

Cable ISPs and Fiber ISPs are not competing to offer high speed Internet - because customers are forced to buy bundles with TV and phone that do not separate out the costs.

Imagine a world where buying a Toyota car meant you could only buy gas from Toyota Service Stations, and could only park your car in Toyota Garages. I don't think you could argue that gas or parking would be competitive.

The likelihood of meaningful competition on usage caps is pretty near zero for any particular household.

How many households have the ability to buy the TV deal of their choice from one company, and the High Speed Internet deal of their choice from another company without paying an "unbundling tax" that far exceeds the cost of one or the other service? I am lucky to be able to choose among triple plays from Verizon, Comcast, and RCN. (that puts me in the 0.1% of the population that has that much choice). There is essentially no variation among the deals I can get. It seems likely that all will "usage cap" in exactly the same way for the same reason: they want to protect their TV businesses. Where would competition come from?